Atomic and Laser Physics
Keble Physics tutorial page
· Dr. Paul Ewart, Atomic Physics
· Dr. Simon Hooker, Laser Physics
Tutor Dr. Alexander Lvovsky
Telephone: +44 1865 272275
Office: Beecroft, 1st floor, south side
· Multi-electron atoms: central field approximation, electron configurations, shell structure, residual electrostatic interaction, spin orbit coupling (fine structure).
· Spectra and energy levels: Term symbols, selection rules, X-ray notation, Auger transitions.
· Hyperfine structure; effects of magnetic fields on fine and hyperfine structure.
· Two level system in a classical light field: Rabi oscillations and Ramsey fringes, decaying states; Einstein
· A and B coefficients; homogeneous and inhomogeneous broadening of spectral lines; rate equations.
· Optical absorption and gain: population inversion in 3- and 4-level systems; optical gain cross section;saturated absorption and gain.
Study plan and homework
Homework for week 2
· Atomic Physics Problems 7-12
Homework for week 4
· Atomic Physics Problems 13-18
Homework for week 5
· Atomic Physics Problems 19-20
· Two additional problems
· Quantum Physics Problems 1-2
Homework for week 6
· Quantum Physics Problems 3-5
· Laser Physics Problems 1-2
Homework for week 8
· Laser Physics Problems 3-7
· Problems 2(c,d,e) and 4(d) from the 2019 exam